Did you know WordPress powers 39.5% of all websites (up from powering 35% of sites in 2020)?
|CMS||Market Share (2021)|
Lytle Enterprises contacted our team in October 2021 with accessibility, SEO and usability concerns for their aging website. Our goals included:
- To refresh and modernize the website based on the organization’s existing brand identity;
- To improve ease of use – including content management, information architecture, readability, and site maintenance;
- To improve conformance with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) level AA – including keyboard-navigable navigation, skip-to-content links, semantic HTML, site search; and high color contrast [> 4.5:1 and > 3.5:1 for large text];
- To improve site performance and security;
- To improve search engine visibility and optimization.
The final benchmark results were impressive …
|Performance Metric||Old website (November 2021)||New Website (April 2022)|
|Google Lighthouse: Accessibility||96/100||100/100|
|Google Lighthouse: Best Practices||67/100||100/100|
|Google Lighthouse: Mobile Speed||59/100||86/100|
|Google Lighthouse: Desktop Speed||71/100||98/100|
|Google Lighthouse: Search Engine Optimization||71/100||93/100|
|WebPageTest Speed Index||5.845||2.116|
|Total Homepage File Size||377 Kb|
(201 Kb Images + 172 Kb Scripts + 13 Kb CSS + 40 Kb Fonts + 19 Kb HTML)
(231 Kb Images + 4 Kb Scripts + 41 Kb CSS + 107 Kb Fonts + 8 Kb HTML)
|Total Web Server Requests||25|
(3 Images +13 Scripts + 5 CSS + 2 Font + 5 HTML)
(6 Images + 2 Scripts + 8 CSS + 3 Fonts + 1 HTML)
|Total Homepage Load Time||~5.8 seconds||~2.1 seconds|
In 2021, the average page size = ~2.4 Mb and median page size = ~2.1 Mb.
Database-driven websites, like WordPress, are more performance optimized when server requests are < 40 – 60.
Web Design + Development Team
Visual Design: Erik Fadiman
WordPress Theme Development: Scott Marlow