GiveCamp was an amazing opportunity for Bike Works to get a new website. In 72 hours over an October weekend on the Microsoft Campus, GiveCamp volunteers cranked out code and design – and we walked away on Sunday with a new website. We are thrilled with the functionality, usability, look and feel of our new site www.bikeworks.org.
Thanks to Scott Marlow and all the volunteers for helping us to better communicate our mission to the public. Scott has been a wealth of knowledge and has continued to help us during the launch phase of our website post GiveCamp. Thanks to all the volunteers for the great wisdom, work and support of Bike Works!
The Bikeworks.org website was built in 2009. There are many ways in which the site was outdated. Mostly it was hard for staff and volunteers to make changes or update it.
- the navigation bar was developed with images, instead of text, so the main navigation could not be changed
- content was sprawling and unfocused
- the colors made it hard to see text
- social media was not integrated
- Migrating the website to WordPress allows internal content management and helps eliminate the need for an external developer
- An integrated blog allows Bike Works to share happenings with supporters
- The new Bikeworks.org site is mobile and tablet-optimized, as well as search engine-friendly
- Google Analytics provides useful site metrics and visitor statistics
Bike Works is an innovative nonprofit organization centered around bicycles that combines youth development, community engagement, bicycle recycling and a social enterprise bike shop to help build a sustainable and healthy community.